Bozeman Paragliding: Instructor Andy Macrae
ushpa advanced instructor and tandem instructor
Andy Macrae has been paragliding in Montana since 1997. He lives to fly and loves to teach others to fly. Andy enjoys mountain flying, speedflying, flatland flying, aerobatics, towing, hiking, tandems, competitions and “sled rides.”
Out of a long list of memorable flights, here are some that continue to stand out for Andy:
- The 2005 Montana state distance record flight of 200km (125 mile), set from tow launch in Shelby on a Gin Zoom.
- The (current) Montana state distance record flight of 309km (192 mile), set in 2015 on an Ozone Mantra 6 from a tow launch in the north Bridgers.
- A 121 km (75 mile) triangle over the Chelan flatlands with numerous other pilots during a competition in 2008. 7 hours in duration on a Gin Boomerang Sport.
- The Utah Out-and-Return state record of 105km (65 mile) over the beautiful Wasatch range with 11 other pilots during a competition in 2009 on a Gin Boomerang 6.
- A 209km (130 mile) flight with Nate Scales and Jan Voegeli from Sun Valley, ID to Monida, MT in 2009 on a Gin Boomerang 6.
- The Florida state and East Coast (east of the Mississippi River) record of 186km (115 mile), set in 2010 on a Gin Boomerang 6.
- Completing one of the longest (162.4km, 101 mile) tasks in US Nationals history in Texas in 2011 on a Gin Boomerang 8.
- Winning a 141km (88 mile) US Nationals task in Texas in 2011 on a Gin Boomerang 8.
- Personal highest altitude flight of 5,500m over the Peruvian Andes, launching at Ayacucho and landing near Cusibamba, flown in 2014 on an Ozone Mantra 6.
- Longest personal out-and-return of 198.8km from Mount 7 (Golden, BC, Canada) to the GEAR campground, flown in 2014 at the Willi XC on an Ozone Mantra 6.
- A beautiful flight with Huntley Brockie launching from Bridger Bowl and landing north of Helena, for about 136km (85 mile) flown in 2013 on a Gin Boom X.
- Completing the longest ever (world record) competition task with 37 other competitors from Chelan Butte to St John, WA for 205km (127 mile) in 2014 on a Gin Boomerang 9.
Check out Andy’s latest paragliding adventures at Andy’s Blog
Or catch Andy during a flight with his SPOT live tracker at Andy's SPOT
You can also find Andy on these social networks: